Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Kite Runner



I recommend “The Kite Runner”.

A friend handed me her copy of “The Kite Runner” telling me I should read it. “It’s a good book – take a long as you like.” she said.

I did not expect to like this book. I expected it to be political anti-war propaganda. It’s not. It is a straight forward story of redemption with the tribulations of Afghanistan and its people as background.

In the beginning, the protagonist, Amir, is an unlikeable ignoble character. For this reason I might have abandoned this novel but Khaled Hosseini is a very good writer. His account of life in Kabul through the eyes of a child made the Afghan people and culture real to me and so I kept turning his pages.

I’m grateful to my friend Pat for coaxing me into reading it. I would not have chosen it on my own.

Links to other Book Reviews in this Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment